Thursday, June 2, 2011

I'd bob to that.

Many of the people I've interacted with in India have a mannerism that seems unique to this area; it's a quick and subtle head bob side to side as an answer to a question. It's pretty adorable actually. The problem is, in American culture we do not engage in this mannerism, leaving me uncertain of how to interpret the bob. Was it a "yes"? It could just as easily have been a "no." Why not just answer one way or another? Why leave me with so much guess work? Keep this point in mind...

My experience has been that India is a land of contradictions. The hospitality of the people is unparalleled, leaving me feeling welcomed and appreciated. Simultaneously, the incessant haggling on the street can lead me to feel frustrated and impatient. There are starving people living on the streets, and on these very same streets restaurants serve much larger portions than a single person can eat. Each morning I see people sitting on the curbs and sidewalks fervently scrubbing their bodies clean, while they may spend their day literally handling trash and waste. Shop owners barter back in forth with you for a matter of a couple rupees then offer you chai as a simple act of kindness, demonstrating their generosity.

Along with contradictions there's competition. Competition exists everywhere in the USA, cloaked in pleasantries, and the hoarding of personal possessions behind the sturdy walls of American homes. In India, the competition and contradictions exist hand-in-hand and out in the open. For example, today our group went to Kali's Temple (Kali is a highly revered Hindu goddess). A Brahman showed us around, indicating the Do's and Don'ts as we went. I entered the temple and was forcibly pushed around, colored powder was plastered onto my forehead, and hands reached out at me asking for donations, as our group and Hindu worshipers fought our way closer to the shrine. The scene was chaotic, with yelling and pushing. Yet at the same time incense burned ceremoniously and flower petals delicately littered the area as a sign of reverence. In my mind I had trouble marrying these two very different experiences occurring at once; I walked out of the temple in a confused haze.

Wanting badly to make sense of the unexpected intensity of the experience, I asked the Brahmin, "Specifically, what do people pray to Kali for?" he answered with a smile, "Peace." Peace! I felt like I'd just been sent through a mosh-pit! I couldn't understand why people were pushing one another out of the way to be closer to Kali. Here came the competition again; in praying for peace, aren't we praying for the very people we're pushing out of the way in order to put ourselves first? Are prayers on the endless list of resources that are scarce and fleeting? In this moment, I wished for someone to help me to better understand the complexity which had left me both captivated and bewildered.

This dynamic came up again at Brother Xavier's orphanage with a little girl I've connected with, Shamoli. While Shamoli was walking around with me holding onto my hand, another little girl came and grabbed my other hand. "No," said Shamoli, "She's MY Auntie!" I was surprised by her possessiveness of me; did she worry I would not have enough attention or love for the both of them? Was my attention yet another resource to compete for? Earlier that same day, Shamoli had shown me her personal possessions consisting of a rag doll, an empty water bottle, a plain dress, and a sheet of stickers. She insisted on my having the stickers to keep. How simultaneously she experienced feelings of benevolence and threat. Such are the contradictions of the human experience; more readily identified in my interactions and observations here in India, than in any other time or place I've witnessed.

I too, have become a bit contradictory. For instance, I truly did not enjoy being pushed around by the crowd at Kali's Temple. Would I go again? Absolutely. I find the illnesses of the women at Prem Dan where I volunteer devastating and heartbreaking. Will I keep working there? Yes, whole heartedly. India has planted an endless array of questions in my mind, for which I do not yet have answers. Questions about suffering, about generosity of spirit, and the power of love and compassion, as well as emotions for which I do not have the verbal capability to convey. So what do I do now? How do I settle the unease of so much unknown and unanswered? How do I definitively answer the endless bounty of quandaries before me?

I'll tell you what I'll do: I'll return to my hotel room, look in the mirror, and start perfecting my head bob.

Peace,
Em

8 comments:

  1. Em this is a beautiful portrayal of Kolkata! I can remember having exactly the same confusion about Kali's temple last year with the contradiction of feelings.
    Reading all of the blog posts has brought back so many memories and the other day I was trying to explain to someone the head bob and how it can be impossible to understand.
    Thanks to you and all the bloggers for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha loved the Indian head bob, i don't think you can ever be certain if it's a yes or a no.. sometimes it may seem pretty clear, but usually it's not that black and white. Your post totally brought me back to last spring in Kolkata, sounds like you guys are doing great work and enjoying yourselves. Love every minute, soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharkbait,
    You have a gift with words. You have identified the exact contradictions and complexitites of Kolkata that have been in my heart since the moment I left in a way I could never describe to you, James, or anyone. Keep questioning, keep loving, and keep embracing each contradiction and complexity because these moments and lessons will stay with you for a very long time. The "Kolkata friends" that Anne referenced in her blog is so true.

    If you remember, the bob is one of my favorite things- I rememebr coming home and trying to describe and explain it to you and now you can truly understand it's beauty.

    Can't wait to "bob" together when you get home.

    Love and missing you,
    Sharkbait

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em - it was a real pleasure to read this. If your eyes are open, the questions never go away. That's a good thing. For me, the questions present a path of discovery that leads to new revelations and, quite often, uncertainty about what we're all doing here and what this is all about. And the questions are what gets me on the plane again, venturing out into the world even when the easier alternative is to stay home, behind closed doors and surrounded by possessions.

    Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bob to that! It's good to see that you are all able to find humor in such sadness around you. Stay strong and keep smiling. ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em-
    This so perfectly articulates the complexity of it all, yet the reality that we shouldn't give up, but rather keep "returning" or approaching life/service how you so eloquently say-of course you're going to keep going back to Prem Dan or offer BroX's girls a hand. I am comforted to know all these thoughts went through someone else's head as well and I struggled to see Kolkata while there how I can now appreciate it a year later. I couldn't handle the "It's for peace" comments amidst tossing around at Kali's either or the 10 year old doing heroine in front of the police officer. Be comforted with trusting this process and know that your thoughts and what you're seeing will still be on your mind days and years to come and keep us wondering, fighting, and questioning life. I hope you're finding peaceful moments each day to come!
    Be well,
    Meg Kerrigan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em,
    What a beautiful, genuine and sincere portrayal of your experiences in Kolkata... I am still bursting with pride... and I know Katie would have LOVED to be there with you. Enjoy every minute. The people you meet will be forever impacted by you... and you will be forever impacted by them as well.
    Be happy and healthy... you are an amazing young woman doing amazing things.
    XO Carol, Katie's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em,

    I saw your mom at Jazz tonight and was reminded to check out the blog...let's just say I've been in tears for about 20 minutes as I read all you guys have written. What an inspiring group you all are.

    I think of you everyday and am sending good vibes your way.

    love,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete