Friday, May 27, 2011

A Week to Remember

I'm gonna take the reigns as the first male blogger. Hope I don't let Joel, Dan and myself down.

These first six days have been absolutely breathtaking. It is truly difficult to put together this blog post with so many emotions and thoughts rushing through your head that cannot be fully expressed in words. Kolkata for me has been the epitome of sensory overload. Leaving the airport there was one smell, getting to Sudder Street another smell, walking to Mother House another, and the pattern continues with some smells being much better than others. Ultimately though, I know it is these memories of smells and scents that will always replay in the back of my mind after leaving Kolkata. In these six days I have explored the surrounding area, bartered with the locals, drank more chai than I could ever imagine, and have grown to learn a great deal about the city in only a short amount of time. What I have learned most is that Kolkata is a city that is overwhelming shrouded in a negative stereotype due to its high poverty. When one in the United States first thinks of Kolkata, images of Mother Teresa and the hungry and homeless are immediate thoughts. However, I have come to see in this last week the joys of this city, ones which I wish could be better reflected to the world. If you look beyond the poverty, or the harsh smells, or trash littering the streets, Kolkata is beautiful. Everything from the structures of buildings to the market designs fascinates me. The locals are so friendly, and are the first to approach you to carry on a conversation. At first, I felt these approaches came with monetary desires, yet I have now had countless individuals reach out to me simply to talk. Talk about my family, their families, my hobbies, their interests, and even giving me my fair share of Bengali lessons. This city is absolutely amazing and has so much to offer and I am privileged to have the opportunity to experience the beauty of Kolkata.

My service thus far has consisted of working the mornings at Daya Dan, and the afternoons at Kalighat. Daya Dan has been one of my first experiences working with children in a one on one setting. As it is a school for children with mental handicaps, I was intimidated at first, until I saw the smiles on these children's faces. I work with a 15 year old boy named Justice who provides me with endless laughs. He is an unbelievable singer and dancer and is so eager to learn. He won't stop until he gets a problem or assignment correct and with a little motivation, he can do anything. What sticks out for me most about not just Justice, but the children of Daya Dan in general, is they are so happy. They may become frustrated at times, but their smile is never ending. The are the most genuine children I have ever encountered and they will never pass judgment against you. For this reason, they do not deserve to be judged either. The boys have shown me their intellect, skills, hobbies, interests, and have welcomed me into their home with open arms and I will never be able to fully express my gratitude. It sounds cliche, but although I am their teacher, they are teaching me an awful lot more than I could ever teach them.

Kalighat brings an entirely different experience to the table. I have never in my life been so close to death, and it really puts things into perspective. I spent the majority of my afternoon today feeding an elderly man who is unable to move from his bed. I would run my hand over his forehead to offer any means of comfort as I could and it makes you feel so helpless. I stand before this man a healthy young individual and I cannot imagine the feelings this man is having. it is truly humbling to see an individual in a time of such need, and a time where they may not have much time left. Be thankful for what you have, for tomorrow is never a guarantee. The people of Kalighat know this, and many extend a helping hand to the others. It is beautiful to see the sense of camaraderie that many of these have amongst one another.

I am sure these next two weeks will fly by, but I look forward to continuing to embrace the experience. God Bless.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Trevin,
    I am so glad to hear you are truly embracing Kolkata with ALL it has to offer and enjoying each moment. Although you may think you cannot possibly give as much as to the individuals you are working with as they are giving you-- your love and companionship you are giving the children at Daya Dan and the men at Kalighat will stay with both of you forever. I am so proud to you and the wonderful work you are doing. :)
    Sending you a big SMC hug from your 300's neighbor.
    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post...

    YOU ARE MY IDOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trevin,
    Your positive attitude is going to be contagious in weeks and endless time to come to the boys at Daya Dan, those living and working in the streets, and the group. Keep embracing the wonderful moments and sensory elements to really take with you all Kolkata is, as well as be one with those you're touching in so many ways. Your presence is bringing more to their days than you can imagine so keep massaging, listening, teaching, and laughing-especially with Mr. Justice ;)
    Justice still holds a huge spot in my heart and there's no better teacher for handwashing clothes than that young lad!!! Please give Dilip a BIG hug for me and let him dance on your feet. We did it every day and he truly loves dancing and physical contact :) I'm so glad those boys have you. Embrace it.
    Be well,
    Meg Kerrigan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've always been a blessing to your friends T-man. Awesome to hear that you're having such an unforgettable experience.

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trevin, I am so impressed and thankful for how open you have let yourself be to the myriad experiences this trip brings you. Thank you for sharing and connecting with the people and places of Kolkata in all their complexities! Much love, Erin

    ReplyDelete